A New Year's blessing on your head ...



Having fallen asleep over the years during a couple of all-time Broadway smash hits --- "Cats" in 1987 on Broadway the day before that year's New York City Marathon and "Les Miserables" in 1988 in Boston --- I nonetheless still count another smash Broadway musical, "Fiddler on the Roof," as my all-time favorite.
The lead in that play, Tevye (performed by such greats as Zero Mostel, Herschel Bernardi and Topel, among others) has always been one of my favorite Broadway characters. The songs in "Fiddler" are legendary, and being the father of two lovely, intelligent and independent-minded daughters, I've been partial to "Sunrise, Sunset."
But with this post, it's another song with the lyrics, "a blessing on your head, Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov," that I choose to reference, because with the year coming to an end, it's time to say, like Tevye, that I'm a very rich man --- and not in terms of taxable income!
I'm wealthy due to having my health and due to having a loving wife, those daughters and a tremendous amount of good friends who have helped carry me through the challenges during the pandemic.
They know who they are --- and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Sure, I complain about our sports teams a lot --- way too much --- but that's a New England tradition and I'm a hardened New Englander.
So I worry about the Red Sox, whose future has been severely diminished by the current ownership and baseball ops czar Chaim Bloom.
I also have used a lot of bad words while watching the New England Patriots this year, but really, can any Patriot fan truly complain after the 20-year run of excellence with Tom Brady?
And the Celtics and Bruins have been incredibly good --- the Bruins have only lost four games all season so far! Incredible!
That's why, as we head to 2023, I count my very good friends and relatives who care about me as making me a very rich person.
So, a shoutout to all of you for making me feel so lucky heading into 2023.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers for a somber Passover

Renewing my love affair with baseball --- and the PawSox

An ode to a lovable cat named Cooper