Some early Valentine’s Day advice: Don’t take your loved one for granted

 


This column, which was published in September 2019 in Jewish Rhode Island of Providence, speaks for itself: Life is too short, so you should never take your loved one or spouse for granted.
My wife and I were fortunate that this Groundhog Day setback in 2019 eventually turned out fine as my wife recovered fully from her broken wrist. But the incident is a reminder that you must cherish every day of your life.
That’s truer than ever since all of us have been stuck in this never-ending, horrible reality known as the coronavirus pandemic for just about a year now – and with no end in sight!

This column was published in September 2019 in Jewish Rhode Island of Providence:

After 30-plus years of marriage, it’s easy to take your spouse for granted, not in a negative way, but in a manner that suggests you’re so comfortable with each other that you know what to expect in most scenarios.
But all that changed on Groundhog Day shortly after Lynne left the house to do the weekly food shopping to avoid the next day’s Super Bowl rush. It was a typical Saturday until a sudden and freakish accident intervened to shake up our lives.
Long before she should have returned, the front door opened. It was my wife; before leaving for the store, she had gone to our hilly, then icy, snow-covered, backyard to feed the birds, and fell. She somehow had the strength and courage to pick herself up and walk up the hill to the front door, and she was in a lot of pain.
Trips to an urgent care and then to the local hospital’s emergency room soon revealed what she had feared: she had a broken right wrist that would likely require surgery, a prognosis that was confirmed two days later at the orthopedist’s office. The injury and surgery led to an extended recovery period that required many changes in our everyday routines.
Retired, I was able to focus my time on helping my wife navigate her new daily challenges, including acting as her designated driver. Although she was pleased that I was available to chauffeur her to appointments and errands, that proved one of many frustrating aspects of her recovery, because our driving styles couldn’t be more different.
Those differences can be summed up by pointing out that she likes to (sort of) joke that I won’t take a turn unless the nearest approaching car is in the next state, and I tend to park at the space that’s the easiest to get in and out of – regardless of how many miles away from the store that it happens to be.
Driving was one of the many adventures that I had to conquer in my role as my wife’s helper. Other sore spots (her viewpoint) or challenges (mine) turned out to be:
* Zippering 101: It turns out that it’s much harder to zip up a thick winter coat or sweatshirt for someone else than it is to zip up your own. Rare were the times that I got it done on my first try.
* Flip those pots and pans: Thoroughly cleaning the pots, pans and cooking utensils was always among my Achilles heel of housecleaning chores, and it became among the things that I regularly had to do more than once, because I never quite mastered the dual concepts of using soap with water and cleaning both sides of the pans and their covers. My wife was fond of telling me that it was her hand that was injured, not her eyesight.
* Folding for the perpetually lazy and inept: I’ve never quite mastered the fine art of folding clothes and sheets, and let’s just say that my abject mediocrity in that area didn’t improve just because I was under more pressure to get it right.
* Food prep basics: My wife did the vast majority of cooking before her accident, and to her credit, continued to do most of it during her recovery, because she proved to be fairly adept with her non-dominant left hand. It took me so long to stir food in the frying pan and to cut up vegetables, for example, that she bought a clamp that locked the pan in place, which allowed her to do a good deal of the food preparation.
Along the way, I did have a few “victories,” notably cleaning out the kitty litter boxes, picking up the dog’s daily deposits and opening up the plastic bags we use to dispose of them.
But the clear winner in this latest chapter of our marriage was my wife, who proved to be a real trouper. She faced her ordeal with determination and readily found new strategies to allow her to accomplish various activities of daily living.
She, for example, figured out a way of changing and cleaning her contact lenses with one hand after I failed to help her pour the cleaning solution on the lenses. She also showed better hand-writing prowess with her left hand than I do with mine, which is saying a lot since I’m a southpaw. She also became very adept at typing with one hand, which enabled her to do more work at home than she originally thought she would be able to do.
Beyond that, she also was responsible for two significant “saves” involving appliances: She fixed our Keurig after watching a YouTube video and she found the manual to our dishwasher, which enabled her to troubleshoot the appearance of a light that had gone on in front of the dishwasher, locking up the machine until that pesky light was turned off.
The experience, though, wasn’t all negative. We saw a lot of movies and went out for more lunches and dinners than we normally do -- and above all we vowed to never again take each other for granted.



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers for a somber Passover

Renewing my love affair with baseball --- and the PawSox

An ode to a lovable cat named Cooper